Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Snow days and educational TV

We have continued to have very cold weather, but I think it is starting to get warmer. In addition, we got some snow yesterday. Singer and I were unable to go to harp lesson yesterday because the snow had started, and driving was treacherous. Today schools were cancelled for the third day in a row so dancer didn't have band, and we also didn't have AWANA. Singer did have an orthodontist appointment this morning. They put a bracket on a stubborn molar in the back. Right now the kids are playing a card game in the kitchen while they munch on a snack. They have been a little disappointed that they have not had the last three days off of school work. I know we will be glad that we did the extra work though, especially the next time we get a call about a showing and need to scramble to clean and get out of the house. One game that our family has been enjoying this week is Scrabble. It is a great addition to our school work as it involves spelling, logic, and math (as they keep track of their score). For those of you with cable or satellite TV I have another helpful hint. A&E and the History channel have educational programing for an hour each day (without commercials). For A&E it is at 4:00 am, and the History channel it is at 6:00 am. I get a classroom magazine twice a year from them that lists all of the educational programming that they will have for a six month period. I just look through and highlight the shows that I am interested in recording. Then I put a note on the calendar so that I remember to record the show. We have seen some very good shows this way. You can check it out, get email updates, or sign up to get the magazine yourself at AETV.com/class and History.com/classroom

No comments: