Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ideas for school and car repairs

In general things seem to stay pretty busy around here. Or at least time seems to go by fast. I don't always seem to be able to blog as often as I would like. I do spend a lot of evening time preparing for our homeschool. I am currently working on a Language Arts reference notebook for the kids. I hope eventually to have an accumulation of helpful information about phonics and spelling, parts of speech, writing checklists, and other helpful things we need to look up now and then. I have recently put together a writing checklist, a list of various reference materials and types of books, and definitions of things like antonyms and synonyms. Do you know what a homographic homophone is? It is a pair of words that look and sound the same, but have different meanings (like bat - for hitting a ball, and bat - the winged creature). Joan Hanson has written a series of simple, but helpful, books that explain some of these terms. I am still working on the parts of speech and phonics. I am also forever on a quest to gather more history information.

Tuesday and Wednesday this week we had wonderful weather. We all had a taste of spring fever. The kids enjoyed playing outside - bike riding and rollerblading. Today it has gotten cold and cloudy again, but not bitterly cold. We know spring isn't too far away. This weekend I think we will be sorting through clothes to remove what doesn't fit and evaluate what we will need.

Our car had to go in for some repair today. We have had a window that wouldn't go down at the drivers seat. That isn't a problem during the winter, but hubby wanted to open the window the other day. He tried to fix it, and discovered the motor was bad and would need to be replaced. Unfortunately though, then the window wouldn't go up. He planned to take the car in today, and then discovered we had a flat tire. Fortunately we have a AAA membership. We had the car towed in and repaired. A kind friend gave hubby a ride to go pick up the car so dancer was able to make it to dance lessons tonight. It will be nice to have the window working this summer when the weather gets warm as the air conditioning died completely at the end of last summer.

We will have a special evening tomorrow. We were given tickets to the ballet. The kids are excited! I am not sure we have ever taken them to the ballet before, so it will be a nice treat.

Singer has begun rehearsals three nights a week for the upcoming show that she is in. She is having fun with it.

We now have three families that are interested in buying our house. None of them is in a position to make an offer right now however.

No comments: