Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A squirrel day

This morning started out in an interesting way. We were eating breakfast and working in the kitchen. The dogs were outside, and Ralph and Moose were having fun watching the squirrels on the tree. The dogs would seem to back off and let the squirrels come down, and then chase them back up. A few moments later Moose had a squirrel in his mouth. He was a good boy, and I didn't have to chase him. He gave up the squirrel when I told him to. Unfortunately, though the squirrel didn't appear to be greatly damaged, it was dead. Well, now we had to decide what to do with the squirrel. Since singer is a budding scientist, and wants to go into an animal related field, we decided we might as well make use of it, and dissected the squirrel. Gamer and dancer weren't very interested, and chose to take a math test instead. Singer and I did observe many of the internal organs, and found the experience interesting, though it was a little hard. Our squirrel population doesn't seem to be too badly affected. I saw as many as six at a time frolicking outside in the sun. I did sell four loaves of bread today. I am not sure if it is something I will want to do all the time, but maybe now and then. The friend that bought the bread is a high school English teacher. Perhaps I could trade bread occasionally for her grading some of singer's essays. This evening singer took an infant/child CPR class and scored 100% on the test. She is starting to babysit, and the one family she sits for has a little girl that has had unusual seizures where she needed to be resuscitated. Gamer, dancer and I went to AWANA. They had what they called "junk night" tonight. The kids brought pockets full of "junk" and got points for having items such as penny's, paperclips, rubber bands, etc. Gamer won a prize for having the most items, which he generously shared with his sister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,
I have to say you are one brave woman! I don't think I could stomach the squirrel dissection, that's totally dh's territory in this house. :D We had to dissect a cat in biology in college, and I cried the whole way through it. LOL

Hope you're having a good day!
Amy

Michele said...

It was a little hard to do. I just kept thinking that it was dead anyway, and that hopefully it's death would serve some purpose. Singer's learning about squirrel anatomy may enable her to help other squirrels in the future.